Returning Home

What happens if you lose your passport while abroad?

Don’t panic, remain calm.  This will be a major inconvenience but the US Embassy can issue you an emergency temporary passport that is good for 3-6 months.  Fortunately this has never happened to me, so I am not speaking from experience, but I have read a lot about the topic so I am prepared just in case.

To get a new passport:

  • Go to any police station and fill out a report and make sure to get a copy of the report.
  • Go to the U.S. Department of State website and follow the instructions.
  • You will need to complete and print out some forms and then go to the nearest U.S. Embassy and prepare to wait in some lines.
  • There will be a fee in excess of $100 USD and you should have your new temporary passport by the end of the day.

Now the bad news, this is a temporary passport and not one you can travel on to other countries.  Within Europe they do allow, but you will not be able to board a flight in Europe and travel to Asia.  Head home and deal with getting a new permanent passport.